This drink is valuable for its medicinal qualities and as a digestive aid. Beets are loaded with nutrients. One 4-ounce glass, morning and night, is an excellent blood tonic, promotes regularity, aids digestion, alkalizes the blood, cleanses the liver, and is a good treatment for kidney stones and other ailments. Beet kvass may also be used in place of vinegar in salad dressings and as an addition to soups.
- 3 medium or 2 large organic beets, peeled and chopped up coarsely
- 2 tablespoons sea salt
- About 2 quarts filtered water (8 cups)
- Place beets and salt in a sterilized 2-quart glass container and fill with filtered water. Stir well and screw lid on tightly.
- The lid should have a little give (but not screwed on tight) to allow carbon dioxide
- to release, but covered to keep out microbes. Keep at room temperature for 2–3 days before transferring to the refrigerator. You will know it is ready when it is sour and slightly effervescent. Keep at room temperature for 2 days before transferring to the refrigerator.
- When most of the liquid has been drunk, you may fill up the container with water and keep at room temperature another 2-3 days. The resulting brew will be slightly less strong than the first. After the second brew, compost the beets and start again with a new batch.