Try something different for your Christmas dinner table this year with these braised short ribs. Any meat cooked on the bone instantly has tons of flavor and this recipe is no exception. Make sure to source grassfed beef. As an alternative cooking method, you may also cook the short ribs in your slow cooker all day until tender. This recipe offers a faster cooking time. Serve with delicious low carb horseradish mashed cauliflower. Recipe inspired by Mario Batali.
Grassfed Beef Short Ribs with Horseradish Cauliflower Mashed Potatoes
Author: Amanda Love
Recipe type: Main Course
Cuisine: Americana, Italian
- ¼ cup good cooking fat – coconut oil, duck fat, lard, bacon fat, butter and olive oil, beef fat
- 4 (16oz) organic or grass fed beef short ribs (look for thick cut)
- Good salt and pepper
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 5 garlic cloves, sliced
- 2 cups red wine
- 16 oz. crushed tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ bunch of each: rosemary, thyme, and oregano
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Heat fat in a large, heavy bottomed skillet or dutch oven. Season the ribs with salt and pepper and cook over high heat until deep brown on all sides. This will take about 15 minutes. Remove the shortribs to a plate and set aside. Add carrots, onions, celery and garlic and cook over high heat while stirring often until browned, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in red wine, tomatoes and juices, chicken stock and herbs. Scrape the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen browned bits. Bring mixture to a boil and return short ribs to the pan. Cover with a lid or foil and place in the oven. Cook for 2 hours or until the meat is literally falling off the bone.
- Mashed Cauliflower – Steam 1 head of cauliflower until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Place in food processor or blender (or you can use an immersion/stick blender). Add 2 tablespoons butter, ¼ cup cream, salt and pepper, and 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish. Blend until smooth and creamy. Garnish with parsley. Serve with short ribs and spoon pan juices over top.