Create a healthy habit with a daily gentle cleanse. This is my favorite cleanse that I have been personally incorporating into my routine for about 12 years now.
There are few fruits that nature gives to us in the winter. Most fruits are available in the summer. The few fruits that are available come winter are tart, sour fruits like persimmons, pomegranates, grapefruits, oranges, and lemons. It makes sense that we shouldn’t eat sweet and sugary fruits in winter, a time when we sweat much less and are typically less active. Eating too much sweet and not building enough heat to burn it off can result in damp conditions in the body. This lends to the perfect breeding ground for conditions like candida as well as colds and flu’s. It is important to eat in season and eat the fruits offered by mother nature at the time she offers them. Lemons are perfect to emphasize at this time. They are sour, the flavor which helps the liver to purge excess that we might have accumulated from over indulgences from the fall harvest.
This drink is a mild version of the Liver-Gallbladder cleanse which consists of days of preparation and then a final cleansing day of drinking ½ cup of olive oil and about equal parts of lemon juice. The result is usually the release of many gallstones. Of course, doctors never tell you there is a $10 cure for reducing inflammation of the gallbladder and releasing gallstones that is much cheaper and less painful then removing your gallbladder (which you have for a reason, by the way!). But, this natural remedy, which I have performed many times on myself does exist and works! If you are not up for such an extreme cleanse, try this beverage which is a much milder version of the Liver-Gallbladder flush and is great to keep your liver and gallbladder just a little happier.
- 1 whole lemon quartered (slice into 4 pieces)
- 1 quart room temperature or cool filtered water (4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (unfiltered, organic, cold pressed – the best you can find)
- (optional) 5 drops of Stevia extract
- (optional) 1 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- Place quartered whole lemon (with peel) in a high power blender (Vitamix or a comparable blender is best).
- Add 1 quart (4 cups) water. Blend on high for 60 seconds.
- After 60 seconds, add olive oil and blend 5 seconds longer.
- Then strain though a fine mesh wire strainer. The drink will be creamy and tart.
- Add vanilla and stevia if you wish to round out the flavor.
- Drink and enjoy.