Some of my best recipes are the most unexpectedly inspired. I just started working with a new client that has Parkinson’s. In creating a menu plan for him, I wanted to focus on high good fat foods to get more energy and healing to his brain and zero sugar so we don’t create any more brain inflammation. He loves dessert so to satisfy his sweet tooth in a healthy way, I was planning to make my Key Lime Pie with stevia instead of maple syrup but the store was out of limes when I went shopping so I came back with lemons instead and created these simple Lemon Blueberry jar pies. Doug, my client, loves them! And now they have become a favorite in my home too. I will warn you, they are sour. If sour is not your thing, this may be too much for you. You could also use maple syrup or honey instead of stevia which will mellow out the intense sourness. I love eating these deserts knowing they contain absolutely no sugar at all and they are still full of good hormone building, brain satiating, happy making fat! Sour is a very important taste that most of us do not get enough of.
Here are some of the important benefits of eating sour foods:
Sour taste stimulates digestive activity, it is unctuous, good for the heart, it is a digestive aid, stimulates appetite, is hot in potency, it satiates and causes moistening. There are many other medicinal benefits of eating sour foods which you can read about in various Ayurvedic and Chinese medical texts. I have studied both of these systems for many years and find great benefit from knowing different perspectives on flavor and foods.
Also, as you may have noticed, this recipe has a lot of coconut oil. In case you are still under the illusion that coconut oil is a saturated fat that is bad for you, please get with the times and learn how amazing this incredibly healing fat is. Check out this post by my friend Jen Miller in New Zealand about the wonderful benefits of eating coconut oil:
- You will need about 8 mason jars. I used the 4 oz jelly jars, but I also used a few 6 oz jars as well. You can use a combo.
- 1.5 cups organic fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2.5 - 3 droppers full of stevia tincture or 1 cup maple syrup or raw honey
- ½ cup organic coconut milk
- 2 cups avocado (about 2 avocados)
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup coconut oil
- 1 cup organic fresh blueberries
- ¼ cup organic fresh raspberries (optional)
- Place all ingredients except for blueberries and raspberries in blender and blend on high until completely smooth and silky. This will probably take about 45 seconds.
- Place about 5 blueberries into the bottom of each mason jar. Pour filling on top of blueberries until jar is filled about ⅔ full. Then place another 5-8 blueberries on top as well as 1 raspberry in the middle. Adding the raspberry is optional. Place lids on all jars and refrigerate. These will last about 2 weeks in the fridge. You can also freeze them for 3 months. Just pull out and defrost for about 1 hr before eating.